Water damage is very different from wind or hail damage because it doesn’t stop after the fact; it continues even after flood water has been drained. This can leave you little time to consider important decisions, particularly those related to repair costs. In today’s post, we aim to help you by discussing the common factors that can affect the cost of water damage.
1. Square Footage — The bigger the damaged area, the higher the repair costs. Dehumidification, in particular, is a critical step because the longer moisture stays in a room, the greater the chances of mold growth and damage to structural components.
2. Local Climate — Many people overlook the effect of local climate on the water damage repair process. Homes located in humid climates take longer to dehumidify, which means dehumidification equipment will need to run for a longer time.
3. Remaining Water — One of the first few steps building restoration professionals do during water damage repair is drain as much water from the property as possible. Nooks and crevices in the house may make it difficult to completely remove remaining water, which may prolong the dehumidification process. In some cases, additional equipment and moisture-absorbing materials may increase the cost of water damage restoration.
4. Building Materials — There are certain types of building materials that will require more resources to restore. For example, water-damaged hardwood flooring takes less time and effort to restore compared to carpeting. Replacement materials can also affect restoration cost, especially if they have to match parts of the house and they’re not easily obtainable.
5. Flood Water — Flood water can be a combination of rainwater and water from other sources, such as burst pipes. One of the worst case scenarios is if black water (sewage water that contains human waste) gets mixed with flood water. Additional measures have to be taken to make sure that the water-damaged areas are completely cleaned and sanitized before restoration can begin.
Anderson Restoration LLC is your leading provider of water and fire damage restoration services. Give us a call at (281) 376-7474, (817) 226-2111 or (512) 400-3021. You can also fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment.